I’ve had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with you over the last few days because you have pneumonia. The only thing cool about having pneumonia is the look of shock people give you when you tell them. However, the shock is minimal as this is a common diagnosis these days. Those bugs are getting stronger… But forget about the bugs, you just need to get stronger.
You’ve been spending your days doing these three things: staring, drawing in your journal, and sleeping. You made the unfortunate, though honourable, commitment to give up TV for lent. Now that you find yourself with an ideal excuse to zone out in front of the boob tube (I only said that because it would make you giggle), you remain faithful to your promise. No TV till Easter.
I’ve even tried to find loopholes for you.”Would you like me to put in a video? That doesn’t count does it?”
“Don’t tempt me, Mommy!”
And then you take the angel wings off, when all that staring and sleeping gets you down, and you wonder out loud if it would be OK if it you just looked up a show on the computer? “No!” you stop yourself, “never mind.”
Obviously, you’re doing some thinking while staring because every once in a while you come out with a very deep thought like, “If Beyonce tells her boyfriend, ‘don’t you ever for a second get to thinkin’ you’re irreplaceable,’ she probably shouldn’t be with him. You should probably only date someone you think is irreplaceable.” That’s heart-melting contemplation right there.
I remember when you were younger and you’d come up with the things you’d been thinking about, like “What happens when robots eat glass?” Maybe not as sophisticated, but still deep thoughts for a young one. Here’s the thing, I didn’t even KNOW robots ate glass! You’re smart too!
Your name actually means Wisdom. That was a pleasant surprise when we found out after you were born and named and registered with a Social Insurance Number. I’m so glad we didn’t find out it meant “ill-fated,” like Desdemona, or “broken-hearted” like Dierdre. (I apologize to all Desdemonas and Dierdres. Thankfully there’s always the “alternate meaning” option.)
When you were a toddler, I thought that maybe you were given this name because God knew it was what you needed to hear the most. I was a little worried about your choices in years 2-6. Those were the years that found you often in the waiting room of the urgent care clinic. Not because you had pneumonia, but because you’d decided to run down a slide, jump off a high wall, race into traffic. Oh Lord, this child is going to need Wisdom, I’d pray.
But as you started to develop your mind, I saw that you had it – and a good amount of it. I also realized that we get the privilege of giving you that blessing every day, every time we speak your name. Even your nickname, Fifi, also accidental and simply a product of who you are, means God increase. So every time we call you by name or nickname we actually ask God to increase your wisdom. My opinion on this is that it matters what we name our children, even if your father and I had no idea at the time.
But you’re not always full of profound thoughts. You’re a ton of fun too. Usually you’re the first one to engage in a playful activity. You still love to jump and hop and dance. Even though you’re a pre-teen, there’s still toddler in you. This is why it is so hard to see you just lying there. So I decided to help you become un-bored by asking your thoughts on a some things, just for the heckuvit.
Here’s what you said:
- On Joseph Kony. I don’t really know his full story. But by the sounds of things, it seems like he should be executed. If he makes other people kill other people, then he’s murdering. But does that mean if he‘s executed the one who executed him is also murdering?
- On Lucky Charms. They’re way too sugary, but that would never stop me from eating them.
- On dating. Some people date too young, like that are my age and even younger! It’s not like they’re going to get married or anything. People do it just to seem like they’re cool, but they don’t seem like they’re cool at all.
- On piano lessons. I feel that I shouldn’t quit, even though I get frustrated sometimes, because you guys pay a lot of money. If I quit it would be a waste of money for all that time I’ve been doing piano lessons so far. I do want to play piano, but sometimes I think I want to quit just because I get frustrated. That reason isn’t good enough. When I hear Daddy playing it makes me want to play.
- On her favourite colour, blue. It seems refreshing and happy.
- On how not be bored when you can’t watch TV. My favourite thing to do is colour and draw because it inspires me. I get really excited about making art. I don’t know how to explain it.
- On what you want to be when you grow up. Fashion Designer, because it’s fun for me, like what I do in my fashion books. You get to use your imagination and it can be YOUR creation that someone is wearing.
- On Mallory. I love her so bad. Sometimes she bugs me, but it’s what a big sister does.
- On Jesus. Everybody should know him and the love that he gives.
- On being 11. I love it. I feel like I can still be an old kid and a young kid.
- On being frustrated. I get frustrated when I’m overwhelmed with things I need to do and I feel I can’t finish any of it when I need to. If I have a project, but also piano and homework and chores. I get frustrated with myself. I feel like someone’s definitely going to be mad at me soon.
- On what might frustrate others about herself. [long pause] Maybe if say something by accident that could offend somebody? Oh I know! If I get distracted when I need to do one of my jobs and they keep asking me and asking me to do my job. That’s gotta be frustrating.
And now, Sophia, it’s the end of the day. You need to get your sleep after a long day of… sleep. The antibiotics are kicking in and I’m looking forward to seeing that light come back in your eyes. We’ll see if we can come up with any un-boring things to do tomorrow.
Good night, Sweetie, and may God increase your Wisdom.
10 Random Things You Should Know About Sophia, According to Sophia
1. I like matching my jewellery with the shirt that I’m wearing every day, unless today. I’m sick.
2. I like being warm and cozy.
3. I hate the thought of taking a bath or shower, but once I get in I love it.
4. I love the muppets and I like to draw cartoons of them.
5. I don’t like to walk to school. I have to wear my snow pants and trudge along, but they keep me warm.
6. I don’t like when our feather pillows, the feather sticks out and I put my face on it.
7. I don’t like it when at night, when we’re driving down a hill and a car is coming up and the lights blind me practically.
8. I like to sleep in, but I like to stay up late.
9. I love Hello Kitty. I’m not sick of her yet.
10. I like doing my hair when it’s long. Even though right now I can’t because it’s just plain short.